Recurring Orders & Subscriptions for Shopify
It seems like these days just about everyone is trying to offer subscriptions of some sort on their store. Now you can get everything from your toothpaste to your catfood delivered monthly! Well, if you have a Shopify store, this just got a lot easier to do!
We're excited to announce the release of our latest Shopify app, Recurring Orders. If you're interested in adding Recurring Ordes or "subscriptions" to your store, right now you can grab a copy of the app for a no risk, free trial!
Here's what it does in a nutshell:
The Recurring Orders app allows you to sell recurring products, or even an entire recurring cart, on your Shopify store. Customers simply select how often they want their order to recur, and then every month (or time period they select) the app automatically charges the customer's credit card and generates the order in your Shopify order admin. You don't have to worry about a thing, the app does it all for you and you can just process orders as normal!
You, and your customers, have full control over the orders by managing product quantities, updating credit card info, update addresses and even skipping orders if they're away on vacation. You, and your customers, will love it!
Here are a few live examples:
- Dollar Tape Club. Like the "Dollar Shave Club" but Hockey :-)
- Daily Nutrition Shopping. Health Vitamins. (They also use our Quantity Breaks app)
- Chilvers Pet Foods. Healthy Pet Foods.
- Olympia Coffee. Organic Fair Trade Coffee.
- Healthy Surprise. Organic and Healthy Treats!
Here's what some of our early users are saying:
★★★★★ "I do not write many reviews. It takes a special experience, either good or bad, for me to take my time to write a review. I have tried various subscription based apps, and when bold put out this new app, you bet I was going to try it. This is one of those (very) good experiences." - Umbrella Testing Supplies
★★★★★ "After spending two months trying to use confusing API recurring payment documentation and misrepresented claims from another major players, this app does exactly what I want." - Commitments of Traders
★★★★★ "What sets this recurring payments app apart from others is that the recurrence becomes a feature of any product you choose. As always, customer service from Bold is fantastic." - CanYouHandlebar Moustache and Beard Co
★★★★★ "Once again, Bold has stolen the show. I have two Shopify stores with multiple Bold apps in each. I've installed other recurring payment apps in the past and they didn't work. When I would contact customer support, they would basically tell me that my products weren't what they built it for and that I was out of luck. I can't say enough good things about Bold. Keep the great apps coming!" - Elite Gymnastics Academy
Click here for an example of a store that has the recurring options on the product.
Click here for an example of a store that has the recurring options on the cart.
All the rest of the features:
✔ Same checkout flow for both "one-time" or "recurring" orders.
When your customers checkout with a recurring product in their cart it gets added to the cart exactly the same as if it were a"one-time" purchase. When they checkout it uses a checkout flow that feels and looks exactly the same as the New Shopify Responsive Checkout.
✔ Offer discounts on recurring Orders
The app has the ability to offer discounts if a customer makes a recurring purchase. Recurring orders can be a powerful way for you to create stability with month over month revenue. So why not encourage your customers to do so!
✔ Customers can add to existing subscriptions.
One of the most important features! When a customer is shopping on your store they will see an "Add to Cart" AND an "Add to Subscription" button on products. Customers DO NOT need to enter a credit card and address again! This drastically increases "subscription" conversions by making it easy for customers to just add products on an existing subscription without filling out all the shipping and payment info again. This will of course increase your bottom line too. :-) * (Customers must be logged in to your store and have an existing recurring order for this to work)
✔ Customers get a full featured order management admin.
We built in an order management admin for your customers to be able to manage everything themselves. Once a customer makes a recurring order they can log in and manage everything, so they don't have to bug you to make changes! PLUS, your customers will LOVE the control they have over their own orders. Some of the things they can do are:
- Change the frequency of a subscription (i.e. from once every month to once every 6 weeks)
- Update shipping address.
- Update credit card & billing information.
- Change product quantities on an order.
- Add products to an existing recurring subscription.
- View upcoming schedule of shipments.
- Skip one, or multiple, shipments on a subscription order. (Great if a customer goes on vacation.)
- Cancel a recurring subscription
✔ You get an even "fuller" featured admin!
Yes we know, "fuller" is not a word ;-). In your "store owner" admin you can do everything your customers can do, and more! The main thing being the ability to change prices. If you need to change the price for one specific customer you can do that on their profile page.
✔ Inventory Forecasting ✴ NEW ✴
Wouldn't it be nice to know what you need in stock to fill your upcoming subscriptions? Well thought so :-) Our exclusive inventory forecasting tool shows you want you'll need to have stock to fill your subscription orders for the the next 7, 30, 90 and 180 days. But that's not all, we also predict what you'll need on top of that based off your average sales.
So let's say you have 10 items scheduled to be shipped next month but on average you sell 3 a month. Our predicted inventory needed then would be 13. Oh, and well always shoot you an email too if you don't have enough inventory for the upcoming week or month. We got your back!
✔ Global product & price management
When you offer recurring orders on your store there are two main things you need to consider regarding product management. A - What happens if you delete a product in your Shopify admin? And, B - What happens if you change the price of a product on your store? Here's what we've done for you to be able handle these situations.
What happens if you delete a product in Shopify?
Hey, we're human and we forget things! If you delete a product in your Shopify store that's on existing recurring orders, the next time that order tries to generate it will get an error. So when you delete a product, that happens to be on a recurring order, you'll get a friendly email letting you know you need to deal with it. In the app there's a page dedicated to managing this, and you have two options there:
Option A) You can simply select a replacement product that will replace the deleted product on all existing subscriptions. When you do this you can choose to use the new product price, the old product's price, or even enter a new price all together!
Option B) You can simply remove that product from all subscriptions. If you have thousands of orders this can be very time consuming. So on your product management page you simply select to remove it, and it will update all orders for you!
What happens if you change the price of a product on Shopify?
If you change the price of a product on your Shopify store the price of that product on existing customer subscriptions will not change. Existing subscriptions will remain locked in at the price the customer purchased at. However, if you want to change the price of that product you can easily do so in the app. You can globally change the price to a new set fixed price, OR you can use our price modifier tool to increase or decrease the price a certain amount. This will be based off whatever the current price is on their order.
Whether you swap the product, delete the product, or make a price change, you can choose to have the app automatically email all the affected customers letting them know about the update. Pretty neat hey? :-)
✔ Automated Emails
Speaking of automatic emails, there are a handful of automated emails built into this app to make your life a little easier. All emails use merge fields that allow you to build templates that can be customized for each customer with their products and details. Some of the automated emails you can choose to trigger are:
- Subscription Update. (Anytime a subscription is updated)
- Credit Card Denied. (When a customer's credit card is declined with a link for them to update their card info)
- Upcoming Shipment. (Send an email a few days before a shipment in case they want to modify or add to the order)
- Price update. (Anytime a price on one of their products is updated)
- Product Change. (Anytime you choose to make a substitution on one of their products)
- Product Discontinued. (If you remove a product from a customers subscription order)
✔ Works with Stripe
Stripe is a free payment gateway that anyone can sign up for in minutes. It is by far the best solution for recurring and subscription orders. If you don't already have an account you can create one here in 25 seconds.
What about PayPal? PayPal is a great option for taking online payments, however when it comes to subscriptions that need to be editable it unfortunately is not. One of the key features of this app is that it allows customers to log into a portal to manage their subscriptions. They can add to them, change quantities, pause them etc... PayPal doesn't not allow this functionality. They are working on it and and when the do we will most likely add it right away. For the time being Stripe is the best option.
✔ Discount & Coupon codes
It wouldn't be cool if customers couldn't use coupon codes on "one-time" orders but now "recurring" orders. At least we didn't think so! To solve this we built a replica of the Shopify coupon engine into the app. Simply replicate your coupon codes in it and that code will then work on any type of order, recurring or one-time!
✔ Handles declined transactions gracefully.
With recurring orders, declined transactions are bound to happen as credit cards will inevitably expire. This app helps take care of that for you! If a transaction is declined you and the customer both get an email. The customer can simply click a link to update their credit card number themselves, or if you want, you can update it from your backend as well. As well, at anytime you can always view all failed transactions to make sure you're not losing out on potential orders!
✔ Customizable product and cart page widgets.
The recurring widget on the Product page and on the Cart page are 100% completely customizable. You have complete control over how it looks with some basic design controls to adjust fonts, background colors, borders etc. Plus, if you like, you can also inject any custom css you want and take full control!
✔ Customizable your language and "lingo".
All the wording on the front-end that your customers see is customizable. By default it's standard English words, but you can change it to any language you like, or even spice it up a bit it to match your store's "lingo". ;-)
✔ Customizable customer order management admin.
The customer admin is where the customer logs in to to manage their existing subscription orders. The default styling works for most stores, but if you like you can customize everything about the way this page looks too!
✔ Three awesome ways to offer recurring orders!
There are three ways you can offer recurring products with this app. Maybe you want customers to be able to just buy one recurring product at a time, maybe you want them to make an entire cart recurring, or maybe you want them to be able to have a combination of both! You can do it all with this app. :-)
- RECURRING CART - Customers can select whether or not to make their entire cart a recurring order. With this option nothing changes on the product page, customers add products to the cart just like normal. On the cart page the customer will have the option to make the order a one time purchase or select to make the entire cart recur at an interval they select such as weekly, monthly etc...
- SINGLE PRODUCT - Customers find a product, select what they want their recurring subscription interval to be (weekly, monthly etc) and then checkout. With this method if they choose to order a product as recurring they don't add the product to the cart, it takes them directly to the checkout page. This is exactly the same way Amazon does it.
- MULTIPLE PRODUCTS - This is similar to the Recurring Product method but when a customer chooses to buy a recurring product it adds it to their cart rather than take them to a checkout and they can continue shopping and add more products. They can add more recurring products at the same or different intervals AND they can add products that are not recurring all in the same cart.
Q - Will this app integrate with shipping, and order fulfillment and accounting apps?
You bet! This app uses your regular products in the normal way they're used everyday. The only difference if an order is recurring is the app generates it every month rather than the customer. When it generates it though it becomes a regular order in your Shopify admin. So if your orders are getting pushed somewhere else it will do so whether it's a recurring order, or regular order.
Q - What about Taxes & Shipping?
This app fully integrates with your existing tax and shipping settings. You don't need to do a thing! The only thing to note is that when you install the app sometimes it can take up to an hour to sync everything.
Q - How does it handle my Google analytics and conversion tracking?
We've got you covered! The app has a special "Scripts" box you can enter all your conversation and analytic tracking scripts into.
Q - Is there liquid code I need to install to use this app?
Yep there is. But not to worry, if you're not good with code we're happy to install it for you for free. :-) In the app there's a Help tab where you can click a button to request on of our experts to set it up for you.
Q - Will customers need multiple accounts for this app?
Nope, they all tie into their existing account on your store. It's a beautiful thing. So customers will need to be logged in to make a recurring order, this is to tie it to their account. If they're not logged in they'll still see the recurring options but when they try to make a recurring order it will ask them to log in.
Q - How does the pricing work with this app?
Given the amount of time spent on developing this app and all the features packed into it, the app should definitely be more than $19.99/month. However, we really wanted to make this affordable for everyone so we priced it at $19.99 with a 1% payment processing fee only on recurring orders. If a customer makes a normal "one-time" purchase there's no processing fee.
Q - Do you have enterprise pricing for large accounts?
You bet! We cater to many large stores, even Fortune 500 companies! If you'll be doing high volumes of subscription orders we have enterprise pricing that does not have a 1% processing and is designed for large account. Click here for enterprise pricing. Not only do we have enterprise plans, we are the largest app company on Shopify with the most robust server environment designed to handle huge amounts of traffic with zero downtime. Don't trust your traffic and sales to smaller apps that risk going down when you need them most.
So what makes it different from other recurring payment apps? Glad you asked! :-)
- The only recurring payments app that works with Product Upsell. ✓
- The only recurring payments app that works with Product Options. ✓
- The only subscription app that has Inventory Forecasting. ✓ (It tells you what you need in stock to fill upcoming subscriptions)
- The only subscription app that works with all shipping methods, even the carrier API such as Fedex, UPS etc.) ✓
- The only subscription app with product deletion management. ✓
- The only app with upcoming "subscription inventory low" email alerts. ✓
- The only subscription app with price change alerts. ✓
- The first subscription app designed to work with Shopify Checkout 2.0 ✓
- The first subscription app with a fully integrated Shopify customer admin ✓
- The first app to allow customers to add items to existing subscriptions ✓
- The only subscription app with 3 different checkout styles. ✓
- The only subscription app with full language control built in. ✓
- The only app with full design control built in. ✓
- ✴✴✴ And finally, maybe most important, it is the only recurring order app built by Shopify's #1 app developer on the most robust server environment of any app on Shopify. Don't trust your checkout with other smaller developers and risk it going down. We are Shopify's #1 app developer and our server environment is designed to literally handle an unlimited amount of traffic. (see below for more details) ✓
- Plus new features being released almost daily!