Upsells are a great way to encourage every shopper to buy more. Not only are you making their order better with items that go great with their original purchase, you're also making more money!
Amazon make millions every day by upselling with their recommendation widgets. You've probably used them yourself when you see complementary items in the "People also bought" panes.
Luckily, you can unlock the the same techniques as that billion dollar behemoth without hiring a team of coders — apps like Bold Upsell will help you drive revenue through pop-ups and special offers.
The traditional upsell or cross-sell can be great on their own, they both encourage customers to spend more money and increase your store's average order value (AOV).
That sounds great, doesn't it?
But do you want to really take upselling to the next level? Then it's time to unleash the BOGO!
No, that's not a lagoon monster! It's a buy one get one free offer. With our apps, you can easily combine two great sales techniques to create the ultimate special offer.
The "buy one get one", but as an Upsell.
That's right. Not only can you present customers with an upsell (i.e. "only $14.99 more for this bigger, better product!), but you can offer it at a discounted price (the "get one" part), using Bold Upsell & Bold Discounts together.
Your store is selling fidget cubes and spinners. The spinners are selling like hotcakes; you can't keep them in stock. The cubes, on the other hand, aren't moving as well; customers seem to have moved past them as a fad and so you want to clear out your inventory.
Using Bold Discounts and Bold Upsell, you can offer the fidget cubes at a discount when a customer purchases a fidget spinner. This encourages customers to add on an additional item to their order, getting a little more out of each order.
Before you start, make sure that you have our Duplicate and Hide code installed on your storefront. If this hasn't yet been added, head to the Additional Info > Liquid Installation tab within the Bold Discounts app to learn how to do it yourself (or hire our team to do it for you).
Step 1: Plan your offer
To run an effective promotion, it is important to plan out your offers before creating them. A good plan should include:
- Dates the offer will be running (Is it going to run forever? Only for the next week?)
- The product(s) that will trigger the offer
- Product(s) that will be discounted
- How much will those products be discounted?
- Is there a limit on the number of discounted products that the customer can purchase?
Step 2: Create your duplicate, hidden products
Using our Bold Discounts, we're going to create some duplicate products that will be visually hidden on the storefront so that customers don't stumble across them. We'll discount these products by 50% of their normal retail price to be sold in an upsell offer. When a customer buys one fidget spinner at full price, they'll get a cube at 50% off.
To do this, log into the Bold Discounts app. On the Current Discounts tab, click Create Discount in the top-right corner.
- Enter a discount name (internal).
- Enter in your discount amount. This can either be a percentage off the regular price, or a set dollar amount off.
- Disable the date range and override cents features.
- Select the products that will be offered for the discounted price.
- Check the Create a hidden duplicate (Liquid update required) checkbox.
- Save the offer
Once the offer is saved, you can use the "Start/Stop" switch next to the discount name to enable the offer. This will generate the discounted products that will be hidden on your storefront (so that they can be used in the Upsell offer). You'll need to turn this on before proceeding to the next step.
Step 3: Set up your upsell offers!
Bold Upsell displays your discounted, hidden products in a pop-up window for customers to see when they meet certain conditions. For a BOGO offer, the only condition that will need to be set is that the customer picks our full-priced product (in this case, the fidget spinners).
You can include up to three products in the offer, or select a collection of products (of which three will be selected at random).
Load into Upsell app from your store's admin "Apps" screen. Choose the Offers > Current Offers tab and select Create New Offer in the top-right corner.
- Enter an offer name (this will only be used internally).
- Choose when the offer triggers. We recommend using the "Add to cart" (Upsell) option for BOGO offers, but you can easily change it later to test which generates more sales.
- Under "Trigger products", click Select Products to choose the product that will trigger the offer. This option should have the full-price product selected. In our case, this will be the fidget spinner. Click Continue with selected products once this product has been chosen.
- Next, select Set an Offer and enter in an offer title and description. These will be shown in the pop-up, so it is a great place to explain the offer and make the sales pitch to the customer.
- Choose the duplicate, discounted product(s) to be used in the upsell offer. It is very important to select these duplicates and not the full-priced versions; otherwise the customer won't be receiving a discount.
- Save the offer using the button at the bottom of the page.
Step 4: Test out the offer
Saving the offer will activate it on your storefront. You can turn it on or off using the switch on the Offers > Current Offers screen, however before turning it off it's a good idea to test it out. Navigate to your trigger product (in our example, the fidget spinners) and add them to the cart. When you press the "Add to cart" button, an offer should appear that allows you to add the fidget cubes for a discounted price.
If the offer doesn't appear, look through the steps again to make sure nothing was missed. Our amazing support team can help resolve any issues you might experience.
Way to go! You just created a BOGO offer on Shopify. There are a ton of different types of promotions you can run with these techniques, such as a "Buy 3, get 1 free", or even "Spend $100, get a free gift".
To get started, check out our apps in the Shopify App Store below.