One of the most common requests our support team receives is for help creating a Buy One, Get One offer. These special promotions give the customer a discount on a product when they purchase another item at full price.
In many cases, this is a great way to drive sales of slow-moving products or promote new items on your store.
For example, your store might be selling Fidget Cubes and Spinners. The spinners are selling like hotcakes; you can't keep them in stock. The cubes, on the other hand, aren't moving as well; customers seem to have moved past them as a fad and so you want to clear out your inventory.
Using our Product Discount and Product Upsell apps, you can offer the fidget cubes at a discount when a customer purchases a fidget spinner. This encourages customers to add on an additional item to their order, getting a little more out of each order.
Before you start, make sure that you have our Duplicate and Hide code installed on your storefront. If this hasn't yet been added, head to the Liquid Installation tab within the Product Discount app to learn how to do it yourself (or hire our team to do it for you).
Step 1: Plan your offer
To run an effective promotion, it is important to plan out your offers before creating them. A good plan should include:
- Dates the offer will be running (Is it going to run forever? Only for the next week?)
- The products that will trigger the offer
- Products that will be discounted
- How much will those products be discounted?
- Is there a limit on the number of discounted products that the customer can purchase?
Step 2: Create your duplicate, hidden products
Using our Product Discount app, we're going to create some duplicate products that will be visually hidden on the storefront so that customers don't stumble across them. We'll discount these products by 50% of their normal retail price to be sold in an Upsell offer. When a customer buys one fidget spinner at full price, they'll get a cube at 50% off.
To do this, log into the Product Discount app. On the Current Discounts tab, click Create Discount in the top-right corner.
- Enter a discount name.
- Disable the date range and cents override features.
- Enter in your discount amount. This can either be a percentage off the regular price, or a set amount off.
- Select the products that will be offered for the discounted price.
- Check the Create a hidden duplicate (Liquid update required) checkbox.
- Save the offer
Once the offer is saved, you can use the "Start/Stop" switch next to the discount name to enable the offer. This will generate the discounted products that will be hidden on your storefront (so that they can be used in the Upsell offer). You'll need to turn this on before proceeding to the next step.
Step 3: Set up your Upsell offers!
The Product Upsell app displays your discounted, hidden products in a pop-up window for customers to see when they meet certain conditions. For a BOGO offer, the only condition that will need to be set is that the customer picks our full-priced product (in this case, the fidget spinners).
You can include up to 3 products in the offer, or select a collection of products (of which 3 will be selected at random).
Load into the Product Upsell app from the Shopify admin's "Apps" screen. Choose the Current Offers tab and select Create New from the top-right corner.
- Enter an offer name (this will only be used internally).
- Choose when the offer triggers. We recommend using the "Add to cart" option for BOGO offers, but you can easily change it later to test which generates more sales.
- Using the "Add Condition" button, create a "Product Trigger" setting. This option should have the full-price product selected. In our case, this will be the fidget spinner. Save the condition once this product has been chosen.
- Next, enter in an offer title and description. These will be shown in the pop-up, so it is a great place to explain the offer and make the sales pitch to the customer.
- Choose the duplicate, discounted products to be used in the Upsell offer. It is very important to select these duplicates and not the full-priced versions; otherwise the customer won't be receiving a discount.
- Save the offer using the button at the bottom of the page.
Step 4: Test out the offer
Saving the offer will activate it on your storefront. You can turn it on or off using the switch on the Current Offers screen, however before turning it off it is a good idea to test it out. Navigate to your trigger product (in our example, the fidget spinners) and add them to the cart. When you press the "Add to cart" button, an offer should appear that allows you to add the fidget cubes for a discounted price.
If the offer doesn't appear, look through the steps again to make sure nothing was missed. Our amazing support team can help resolve any issues you might experience.
Way to go! You just created a BOGO offer on Shopify. There are a ton of different types of promotions you can run with these techniques, such as a "Buy 3, get 1 free", or even "Spend $100, get a free gift".
To get started, check out our apps in the Shopify App Store below.